Meat and rice are the ultimate comfort food! Cabbage rolls are a classic in many countries in the world with differences in fillings and spices. The recipe below is a traditional take that the whole family will really enjoy!
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup onion (minced)
- 1 pound extra-lean meat (half beef and half pork)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- You will need to steam the cabbage leaves first. To do so, fill a pot with water and let the cabbage head boil for about 6-8 minutes. After a little while you will notice that the leaves separating from the head. If you wish, you can gently peel away the leaves using a fork. Then, drain the head of cabbage and peel the necessary amount of leaves when cool.
- In a large mixing bowl and combine the cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, garlic powder, ground beef, ground pork, salt, and pepper. Scoop about a 1/4 cup of the mixture into the center of each cabbage leaf and roll them up and tuck in the ends.
- You can slow cook the rolls or bake them. For the slow cooker simply place the rolls inside. Or grease a 9x13 baking dish, place the rolls and preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine together the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour this sauce over the cabbage rolls.
- Set the slow cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or if you are using the oven, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Enjoy!
Do you enjoy traditional recipes?