A true comfort food! The kind of recipe that warms your heart and soul. And for me, chicken pie ... is a comforting dish and this time, we'll add 1/2 cup of cream 35%, it will be even better!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of cream 35%
- 3 cups chicken or turkey shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter and add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add flour, salt, black pepper, thyme, parsley, chicken stock and cream, whisk until no more flour is present, then simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken or shredded turkey and peas. Remove from fire.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and place your pie crust on a 9-inch pie plate.
- Pour the filling into the tart bottom and carefully cover the tart with your second pie crust.
- Seal the edges with a fork and cut a few small slits in the center of the upper crust.
- Brush with the beaten egg
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes, cut and serve.
For freezing: Allow the chicken pie to cool completely, the pie freezes for up to 1 month.