It is really fun to repurpose old items into completely new things! It is environmental friendly and a great hobby to help keep you occupy during the boring winter months.
If you have a couple of extra men shirts, you can make lovely kitchen apron! It is a great way to give a second life to old shirt or it also makes a beautiful gifts.
Gabriel's Good Tidings has an excellent tutorial on how to make them, but be sure to ask your husband first! Or else he might be looking for his shirts!
- Old shirt, preferably with collar
- Fabric scissors
- Needle and thread or a sewing machine
- Cut off the sleeves and the back of the shirt
- Cut very close to the seam around the collar but leave it intact.
- Using a rotary cutter and ruler, make a diagonal cut from the armpit to the top of the shoulder. Then, turn a hem under and conceal all the raw edges. Set it down. Repeat on both sides.
- To make the apron ties, you could use ribbons or cut strips of fabric.
- Now, close all the raw edges and set the straps on the bottom of the diagonal cut. Backstitch several times.
Note : Before you start, flip the collar up and button the shirt all the way down. This will help you!
If you are doing this for the first time, use a plaid shirt - the lines will help you make the cuts!