We don't know what makes KFC's breadcrumb coating so delicious, but we know that this one is just as crispy and contents less fat!
- 10 chicken fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fine corn flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon salt (it will not be salty)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- In a bowl, combine the spices.
- In a large ziploc bag, add 1 tablespoon of spices, 1 cup of buttermilk and chicken, then marinate for 6 to 24 hours. Store the remaining spices.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking tray with baking paper (the cooking foil will NOT work.) Add the butter to the plate and melt in the oven as it pre-heats. Once the butter is melted remove the baking tray.
- In a second bowl, combine flour, panko, corn flour and other spices. Add half of this mixture into a large ziploc bag.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and clean the excess marinade with paper towels.
- Add half the chicken to the bag and shake.
- Place the chicken on the baking tray. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.