Winter 2020-2021 will feel even longer than usual! And don't get us started on the holiday break! Without family gatherings and with the lockdowns, many parents are looking for new ways to entertain children.
Here is an interesting idea to add a little bit of color to your winter. It's as fun for adults as it is for kids. The lifespan of the artwork might be limited, but fleeting beauty also has its charm!
To make ice sun catchers, you only need a few simple items!
Ice and light make such a beautiful marriage, doesn't it?
This activity allows children to learn about the changing properties of water, dye, as well as the freezing and melting process. It will bring a level of wonder to the sight of their own creations as they sparkle in the winter sunlight.
1. Start by fill the cake pan with water.
2. Place the small cup filled with rice towards the edge of the mold and place it in the freezer. Freeze for 1 hour, or until the ice is partially set.
3. Keeping the pan inside the freezer, drop various shades of food coloring into the partially frozen water. Then, let freeze completely (about 3 hours).
4.Remove pan from freezer and leave at room temperature for about 15 minutes, or until starting to slightly soften.
5. Remove the cup filled with rice and the circle of ice from the cake pan.
6. Place the ribbon through the hole to hang the sun catcher on the outside.
NOTE: You can also make colorful sun catcher by preparing colored ice cubes. Place the cubes in partially frozen water and let everything set.
You can make different shapes with fun molds! Just like this heart-shape for example!
What are you doing for the winter break?