Finding the right furniture that fits your needs AND your budget isn't always an easy thing. If you are serious about your DIY and crafts, you know how important having a dedicated space with all your supplies is. But store-bought craft desk can be really pricey. So why not try building one yourself? No matter what type of DIY you like; sewing, DIY, scrapbooking, jewelry making, etc. this project is perfect! It's ideal because it's simple and very cheap!
YOU WILL NEED:
- 3 IKEA shelves 2 with 9 cubes and 1 with 6 cubes
- 2 thick sheets of MDF covered with melamine on top of 10.16 x 20.32 x 7.62 cm (4x8x3")
- 3 pine boards or wood of your choice of 30.48 x 2.54 x 10.16 cm (12x1x4")
- 12 bolts and nuts to secure the boards to the shelves
- Screws of 7.62 cm (3") to make the wooden framing
- 1 litre of white paint primer
- 1 litre of white paint or any color of your choice
- Small finishing nails
- A caulking tube or filling holes
- A tube of liquid nails
By putting the Ikea shelves into cubes with planks, her husband had a precise idea in mind. Make her a massive workspace with tons of storage for her craft corner.
He connected the two boxes of 9 cubes with planks.
Then added the box of 6 cubes and added more boards.
He then laid down and attached melamine coated MDF boards to the top.
Then he simply had to fill the empty spaces with baskets to store all her DIY equipment! It's like a dream come true!
This project can be customized to your needs as well as be painted or decorated any colour or pattern you want! Washi tape could add great detailing to this project.
We hope you enjoyed this project as much as we do, it really has everything we need for our home craft corner! It could also be adapted for the kids' playroom or as a study desk with all their school supply for the older kids.