Strawberries and rhubarb is the perfect summer combination! But they are not only delicious in a pie, you can also make soft bars that the whole family will love!
For the crumb layer:
- 1 and 1/3 cup (335 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup (335 ml ) oats
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 3/4 cup (190 ml) melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For the filling:
- 1 3/4 cup (440 mL) hulled and diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup (375 mL) rhubarb
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 ° F (175 ° C).
- Prepare a 9x9 baking dish by lining with a parchment paper and grease with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the oats, brown sugar and sugar. Mix well.
- In another small bowl, combine the vanilla with the melted butter. Pour over the oat mixture. Mix well with a spatula.
- Pour 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish and press well. Reserve 1/3 of the mixture for later.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the strawberries and rhubarb. Add the lemon juice.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the sugar and cornstarch. Pour over strawberry mixture and shake until well combined. Add the remaining oat mixture on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Cool and cut into squares.
You can serve these delicious bars with ice cream or simply on it's own. All the family will love them!