Few people like to host spiders in their homes. Many of us are even horrified just by the thought of it and do not want to sleep in a room where these little critters could be hiding. At the same time, no one wants to fumigate their home with dozens of chemicals.
Instead, opt for all-natural repellents that will free your home from pests while keeping your air clean and healthy!
To help you, here are 11 DIY recipes:
1. Peppermint and dish soap
- Mix 3 cups (750 ml) of water, 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of soap and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of essential peppermint oil.
- Pour this mixture into a spray bottle and shake well.
- Spray wherever you think a spider might have retreated.
2. Salt water
- Mix one gallon (3.7 liters) of warm water with one ounce (30 ml) of salt.
- Spray the mixture directly on spiders and their nests.
3. Coconut oil
- Mix one part coconut oil with two parts water.
- Then simply spray this mixture on all entrances into your house.
- Slice some onions and place in a bowl of water.
- Place the bowl near the spot where you have seen spiders, and this will chase them away.
5. Citrus peels
Rub citrus peels on baseboards, window sills, pretty much anywhere, really!
Sprinkle cinnamon around the perimeter of your house to keep spiders away.
7. Minted cotton balls
- Dip cotton balls into peppermint essential oil.
- Place them beneath or outside your home.
You can also plant mint in your garden to keep spiders away.
8. White vinegar
1. Mix water and vinegar in a spray bottle.
2. Spray the mixture in all the corners and cracks of your home.
Add a little cedar mulch around your house. Make sure you keep it in place to keep it effective.
Place nuts and chestnuts outside your home to keep spiders from getting inside, or place them under furniture and windowsills to prompt them to relocate.
- Put two tablespoons (30 g) of turmeric in a little water.
- Mix to form a paste.
- Dip some cotton balls into the paste and place these around your house, making sure to never put the paste directly on furniture or walls, as turmeric can stain anything very easily.