Do not be afraid to try this recipe, these rolls are easy to cook ... and so good!
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon + 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 (0.25 oz) dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 10 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine warm water and tablespoon of sugar.
- Sprinkle the yeast in the sugared water, stir gently, place a plate on top of the bowl and let stand for 10 minutes (until the yeast is foamy).
- Whisk the milk and eggs together in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, put flour, salt, 2/3 cup sugar and shortening with your fingers.
- Using a pastry cutter, put the shortening in the flour until the texture is crumbly.
- Make a well in the center and pour the foamy yeast and the mixture of milk and egg.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough comes off the sides of the bowl and begins to form a ball around the spoon.
- Cover with a damp cloth (well wringed) and place the bowl in a warm, damp place (in the oven off with the light on - personally I place a small bowl filled with water on the bottom rack of my oven and I heat at 150 ° F for 5 minutes. Before I start my recipe, I turn it off and do not open the door until the bowl is removed.
- Let the dough rise about 45 minutes.
- When the dough has doubled in volume, pour the melted butter and knead for 2 minutes.
- Cover and let stand the dough for 15 minutes.
- On a floured surface, cut small balls of dough, then roll them (you can watch the video below to see the technique).
- Place the dough balls in a greased (round or square) pan, leaving 1 inch apart between them.
- Let it rise again until it is doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400 ° F.
- Bake the rolls about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
You can brush them with melted butter at the end of the oven, the noise of the crackling crust is so enjoying!